‘I hold no ill will toward my accuser’: Pell - Breaking News

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Monday, April 6, 2020

‘I hold no ill will toward my accuser’: Pell

Cardinal George Pell has maintained his innocence after the High Court of Australia quashed his convictions today. “I have consistently maintained my innocence while suffering from a serious injustice. This has been remedied today with the High Court’s unanimous decision,” he said. “I look forward to reading the judgement and reasons for the decision in detail.” Cardinal Pell said he held “no ill will toward my accuser” adding “I don’t want my acquittal to add to the hurt and bitterness so many feel; there is certainly hurt and bitterness enough”. “My trial was not the referendum on the Catholic Church, nor a referendum on how church authorities in Australia dealt with the crim of paedophilia in the church, the point was whether I had committed these awful crimes, and I did not,” he said. “The only basis for long term healing is truth and the only basis for justice is truth, because justice means truth for all. “I want to thank in particular my family for their love and support and what they had to go through, my small team of advisors, those who spoke up for me and suffered as a result, and all my friends and supporters here and overseas.” Cardinal Pell will walk free from Barwon Prison in Victoria today after more than 400 days behind bars.

from National | Daily Telegraph https://ift.tt/3e042n8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Pages